Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Childbirth Class: Week 2

Last night was week 2 of 4. It was mostly about the signs of labor and the different stages. She talked about how long each stage generally lasts, what to expect during each, how much dilation occurs in each, etc. Again, I already knew everything she told us (maybe I read/research too much?) but Dan said he learned stuff so that's good.

The last half hour of class we learned breathing techniques. It was pretty pointless in my opinion. She basically told us to start and end each contraction with a cleansing breath and gave us 3 different "methods" of breathing through the contractions. I don't think you can really know what's going to work or not until you're in the situation so I just felt silly. We used a balloon to "practice" pushing. Basically we blew up the balloon for the length of a contraction (instead of actual pushing of course). Again, helpful? I doubt it.

I'm looking forward to the next two classes though. Next week is the tour and the last week is info about newborns, nursing, and post-partum. I think those things will be more beneficial for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment