Tuesday, March 6, 2012

One Month Old

Dear Adelyn and Delaney,

You are already one month old! I'm pretty sure that was the quickest month of my life. Between the trips back and forth to the hospital and adjusting to life with newborn twins, I imagine that most people would agree that it's a good thing we survived. ;)


At one month old: Adelyn, you are 7 pounds 8 ounces and 21.5" long. Delaney, you are 7 pounds 15 ounces and 22" long. You've both gained over a pound since birth and have grown 3+ inches. I can't believe how quickly you're changing!


Adelyn, you are our little spitfire. You know what you want and demand it- loudly. You prefer to be held. You tolerate the swing for a short amount of time and don't mind the pack and play with the mobile on... but you like to make sure we don't forget about you by screaming loudly at the drop of a hat for no reason. Sometimes, it's that you decided you want your pacifier. Other times you're just done with that activity and want to make sure we know. You hardly ever fall asleep without being held during the day. You're the fesity one of the two! :)


Delaney, you've been calm from day one. I think it has a lot to do with your NICU stay and the fact that for the first 9 days of your life you were only allowed to be held during feeds. This still breaks my heart to think about so I make sure to spend a lot of time holding you, even if you aren't "demanding" it. You are pretty happy doing just about anything. You somehow know every night when it's dinner time though, and that's your "hold me" time. It's okay though, I love holding you both. :)


You've both been sleep-smiling since you were about a week old but recently have started social smiling. Adelyn, your first social smile was directed at me and I was just holding you and talking to you. It was on February 21st. Delaney, your first social smile was also directed towards me and it was during a bath. I was washing your hair and humming a song to you. It was on March 9th (so technically after this letter should have been written but I'm a little behind). Those first smiles MELT me. I got instant tears in my eyes because it's just so special to see that you recognize me and are happy. Moms live for little moments like that.


I have to commend you both for being GREAT babies. You sleep a lot still but have 20 minutes or so of alert time a few times a day. You pretty much wake up every 3 hours during the day to eat and go a little bit longer (usually about 4 hours) at nighttime. Last night (March 9th) you both only woke up ONCE in the middle of the night to eat. If we could keep that schedule, I'd appreciate it. ;) You're both exclusively breastfed though I do feed you individually for now. I like the special one on one time with you and you're pretty efficient eaters so it works out well.

You really enjoy it when I hold you together or put you in the pack and play together. It warms my heart to watch you look at each other and "talk." A few days ago you both fell asleep in the p&p and your arms were intertwined- it was adorable. I think you're going to be great friends.

Before you were born we didn't know that our family was missing anything but now that you're here we can't picture our life without you. The two of you completed our little family unit and we LOVE what we've become. Life with a toddler and twins is crazy but so perfect. We love you two so much!

I promise to be the best mommy that I can be to you. I've always dreamed of having a daughter and God blessed me with the two most perfect, most beautiful daughters I could have dreamed of. When I was pregnant with you I was worried that I wouldn't have enough love to pass around but I'm happy to say that I do. I love each of my children more than anything... my heart just grew to add room for you. :)


You're such blessings in our lives and we are so happy you are here!

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE reading all of yur posts. They always make me smile some most o the time make me tear up. I love reading about your babies and how much you love them. It makes me feel closer to your little family. Thanks for sharing all these special moments.

    ReplyDelete