My parents are wonderful. :-)
My mom (Diane) married my dad (Tandy) when they were 18 and 20 years old. Very young! Needless to say, it didn't quite work out and they divorced when I was 3. They remained friends and had (to my memory) a civil divorce and relationship to follow. I saw my dad every other weekend growing up and had many great memories during those times.
Both my mom and dad remarried a short time later- I think I was 4-5? Anyways, my mom married my step-dad (John) and my dad married my step-mom (Mary). When I was younger I didn't particularly care for either of my step-parents but luckily the older I got the better our relationship has gotten. Now I can honestly say that I love them both dearly and consider them parents as well.
My mom is not only a wonderful mother (and grandma!) but she's also one of my best friends. I love that I now live close enough to see her whenever I want. In fact, today we spent the whole day together and it was great! I'm looking forward to more mom dates in the future. :)
Sadly, my dad passed away almost 4 years ago from a sudden heart attack. It was devastating to our entire family, as you can imagine. I still miss him daily and really wish Nolan would have gotten a chance to meet him. I know he would have adored his only grandson.
Even though I didn't have the "normal" set of two married parents, I love my life and I love the "extra" parents I have. Without them, my life would be totally different!
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As if losing your Dad isn't hard enough - doesn't it seem so much more unfair now that you have a baby. I find myself thinking about that all the time. How it's so unfair to the Dads and the kids who will never know their Grandpa :( SNIFF.
ReplyDeleteIn other non-sad news, YAY for Mom Dates, they're they best :)