Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Journey (so far)...

Sorry for the formatting. I need some advice so please let me know what you would do in this situation.

12/28- Positive home pregnancy test, called office and was told to come in for bloodwork as soon as I was able.

1/4- Got back in town and went to doctor after school for HCG testing and progesterone. Was told by the receptionist they would call me the next morning with results.

1-5 I finally called right before closing time, and after trying the lab results time about 10 times called the line to make an appointment. I explained the situation and asked for results. Was told by the receptionist they weren’t in yet and that they would call me in the morning.

1-6 Again, they never called so I called them in the afternoon. Same situation with the phone line. Got the receptionist on the phone and she said “have you had any bleeding or spotting?” I said no. She told me my hcg levels were great at 3200, but my progesterone was a 3.9 which does not indicate a viable pregnancy. She said she would talk to the doctor and call me back. I was hysterical, thinking it was over.

Later that afternoon, the PA called me back and was very kind. She said the fact that I hadn’t been bleeding was positive and that she would call me in a prescription for progesterone suppositories and that I should go pick them up. I thanked her and hung up.

1-7 Called off work today because I was so unsure of what was going to happen. Was very emotional, and didn’t have any information about the progesterone and what it was supposed to do to help me. I called the office and talked to the PA to get some more information. I felt a little better after that. They scheduled me for an ultrasound on 1-14.

1-14 Ultrasound day! I was a nervous wreck all day, but when we got started we were able to see the baby measuring one day ahead of my dates and the heart beating at 126 bpm. Upon checking out, I asked if they would retest my progesterone levels to make sure the supplements were working, they said yes. I had bloodwork done and was once again told they would call the next day.

1-15 No phone call, of course.

1-18 I finally called them around 2:00. Same situation with the phone lines. I got miss doom and gloom herself on the phone (receptionist) and she once again asked “have you been spotting or bleeding?” I told her no again. She told me my levels were still very low and that she would have the PA call me.

I had to call back because I knew the office closed at 4:30 and still hadn’t heard. She said she’d been busy and she’d call me right back. She called at 5:00 and I explained that my ultrasound looked great but that my progesterone levels were still low, and that maybe I needed a higher dose. I asked them from day one if 50mg would be enough, and they told me it was the normal dosage. I did a LOT of research, and most people had even higher levels than I did to begin with and were taking 200mg twice a day in the suppositories. I was skeptical. She told me the only thing we could do would be to call in a prescription for prometrium, which is oral. I asked if it would make a difference and she said she didn’t know. I asked if it would be called in the same day, and she assured me she would “have the girls do it right now.”

Big surprise. They didn’t call it in.

So that’s where we stand today. I’m so frustrated. I really like my actual doctor, though I haven’t even seen him yet. I’ve had him for annuals in the past, but as far as my pregnancy goes I’ve talked to doom and gloom, the PA, and the ultra sound tech, but never the doctor. I’m very angry with the office, and think that their level of professionalism is lacking. They continually say they’ll do one thing but then do another. I feel like I can’t switch doctors at this point, because I’m at a fragile part in my pregnancy and need to be able to see a doctor where I’m an established patient so they can do bloodwork, etc. I’m seriously considering changing though, once this all gets worked out.

Thoughts? What would you do? What is your threshold for dealing with this situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment