Friday, January 29, 2010

New Doctor

I had my appointment with my new doctor yesterday, and I'm very impressed!

When I got there, I was informed that the doctor was stuck in surgery but would be there eventually. I was told I could wait and see the PA, or I could reschedule. Well, I took the day off work yesterday due to excessive m/s so I figured I should wait so I could get a doctor's note.

I saw the PA, did the history and all of that. She did a pap then we talked. I explained to her everything that has happened and she was so disgusted. She said that receptionists should NEVER give lab results- good or bad. She also said that if a patient wanted to speak to/see a doctor then there should be no questions asked and that's what should happen. She was also upset with the lack of care I'd received while dealing with the progesterone issues. Needless to say, this all made me feel good.

She wanted to take a peek at baby just to make sure everything still looked good. The ultrasound tech squeezed me in and everything looks perfect! Baby is measuring 8w3d and has a nice strong heartbeat of 183bpm. Dan was pretty bummed he missed it, but it was more of a surprise ultrasound, so it was unavoidable. I thought it would more or less be a meet and greet type of meeting, with blood work. In other words, stuff he's not interested in. Oh well.

I also got tested for Cystic Fibrosis... crossing my fingers I'm not a carrier! They said if I was, then we would test Dan and go from there. I also got my H1N1 shot, which I was hesitant about but they assured me it was totally safe and highly highly recommended for pregnant women.

Found out I could try some vitamin B6 for my nausea. I think I will pick some up this weekend. It's been back with a vengeance the last couple days.

Last but not least, she said that they don't routinely do the NT scan like some places do. She said I could request it, but generally if people are young and healthy they don't find it medically necessary. I'm going to do some research before I decide, but it's looking like I won't see baby again until the "big" ultrasound at 20 weeks. She said we'd listen for the HB at the 12 week appt, but if we couldn't get it on the Doppler then we'd of course do an u/s for peace of mind.

I did get to meet the doctor and talk to him for a few minutes. He finally got back around the time I was finishing up and made a point to come in and talk to me which I thought was very professional and nice. He said to keep on doing what I'm doing with the progesterone and at my next appointment (12w) we could start weaning off.

I really really like the office staff and the PA and the doctor. It's also nice because it's actually in the same building as my old doctor so I'm familiar with the lab area and know how things go, plus know how to get there, etc. It was super convenient when they needed to know my prenatal bw results... they just walked over to the lab and printed them off, lol.

I'm going to try to post the ultrasound picture later today. I need to find a scanner! Baby is much bigger than 2 weeks ago!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay:)

    We didn't do the NT scan since we are both young and healthy. The 20 week ultrasound was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete